ClsWheel 1.7

September 25, 2013

Class, B4A: ClsWheel, Type 5 = DIGITS

Published September 2013

I’ve been using B4A for several projects, including MIR-Blue. After finding out that Modal Dialogs cause a message ordering problem for AsyncText, I needed some reusable non-modal controls to replace the (modal) Dialogs library I first used. Klaus has written ClsWheel which I found very useful (Thanks Klaus!); but I found that while it handled Dates, multiple ‘wheel position’ elements and such, there was some boilerplate code required to use the CUSTOM mode for a simple multiple digit decimal number.

So I coded up a solution for it, providing an optional decimal point position specification. Mode 5 DIGITS accepts a 1-5 digit decimal number (with decimal point), and returns the same. The return can be assigned to an Int, Float or Double if desired, without extra processing. By default, ClsWheel uses a Space ” ” separator between wheel ‘digits’.

Of course I make this freely available, how could I not after Klaus’s contribution.

Update: Klaus accepted it, and is giving it his own spin, adding support for +-, movable decimal point, and other useful features.

Since there are some costs to me for these efforts, if you find value in any of my work, please consider a donation.

Please consider a donation if you find value in my free/open source contributions.

MIR-Blue

September 7, 2013

App: MIR-Blue, Google Play Store

Published: September 2013

The application name is a play on my last name, my avatar name, and “My IR-Blue”. My previous post documents another Google Play app written for the IR-Blue hardware, the same hardware my MIR-Blue app is written to. The hardware is one of the deliverables from the Kickstarter project.

From my last post:

The Kickstarter hardware had been delivered mid-Summer, but when I began using it with 0.86 from Google Play I experienced some issues including lockups and errant behavior, as well as tiny fonts that made it more difficult than necessary to read. I began working with the 0.60 source in August 2013, when time freed up from more pressing issues. Upon discovering even more shortcomings of that open sourced code, and desiring more features than available even in 0.86 as well as corrections to the issues I experienced on my HTC Sensation, I set about creating my own application. I used the open sourced 0.60 as the baseline, improving and extending it. I also reported some issues I discovered in 0.60 source and the 0.86 apk in to the original author, along with suggestions for improvements — some based upon my own design and code changes to 0.60 baseline.

I forked the IR-Blue github. The wiki there documents the changes I implemented upon 0.60, and culminated in an apk in the Google Play store, called MIR-Blue, available for Free. The post documenting it is at MIR-Blue.

I wrote a number of new Classes and a Service, which I can share with my other upcoming projects, and reworked the MIR-Blue source to use them. Once they are well tested I intend to release those that others may find useful. [Update: a first addition ClsWheel 1.7 is proposed to Class author]

Since there are some costs to me for these efforts, if you find value in any of my work, please consider a donation.

Please consider a donation if you find value in my free/open source contributions.

FIRsensor by MarDaSo

September 7, 2013

App: FIRsensor, Google Play Store

Published: July 2013

This is a free (as Andy Rawson stated: “free as in beer”) application written by Marcel Damhuis of The Netherlands. As of this writing it is at version 0.86. The source for this version is not posted to the Kickstarter github.

There is a github associated with the Kickstarter, the link provided is to the Android software portion. It begins with the source code as it was at version 0.60, and there is a set of apk’s for revisions up to 0.86 in the git.

The Kickstarter hardware had been delivered mid-Summer, but when I began using it with 0.86 from Google Play I experienced some issues including lockups and errant behavior, as well as tiny fonts that made it more difficult than necessary to read. I began working with the 0.60 source in August 2013, when time freed up from more pressing issues. Upon discovering even more shortcomings of that open sourced code, and desiring more features than available even in 0.86 as well as corrections to the issues I experienced on my HTC Sensation, I set about creating my own application. I used the open sourced 0.60 as the baseline, improving and extending it. I also reported some issues I discovered in 0.60 source and the 0.86 apk in to the original author, along with suggestions for improvements — some based upon my own design and code changes to 0.60 baseline.

I forked the IR-Blue github. The wiki there documents the changes I implemented upon 0.60, and culminated in an apk in the Google Play store, called MIR-Blue, available for Free. The post documenting it is at MIR-Blue.

Since there are some costs to me for these efforts, if you find value in any of my work, please consider a donation.

Please consider a donation if you find value in my free/open source contributions.